My Photo
Name:

Learning to live with "50" has given me some different insights than being in my 40's, so this seems like a logical place to share them! I have 2 beautiful girls and a "shared son". On any given day, there are many, many kids running around my house and I love each and every one of them! I'm a firm believer that housework is unhealthy. My last several attempts at "deep cleaning" have resulted in bodily injuries and sinus infections that I am sure were caused by the improper use of caustic cleaning products.(Is there a class where you can learn this stuff????) So, in an attempt to keep grandmas updated and everybody in the loop, I'll endeavor to be more prompt in my postings. 'Not sure what I'm doing with the technology, but I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to get some help from my kids should I falter ... Enjoy!

Sunday, June 25, 2006

We should all remember ...


Yesterday, while sitting in my dark little office, Brother Steve called with a "fabulous photo op" going on right outside my door. It would seem that there was a 20 foot flag draped between the ladders of 2 firetrucks across Highway 20.

It was awe inspiring. But what was it for? What's up?

I grabbed a digital camera and trotted down to get a photo and perhaps a little news.

Gwinnett County's Fire Department was paying tribute to a Gwinnett County Detective, Krista Davis, who passed away on Thursday after suffering an aneurism on Tuesday while on the job. Her funeral procession was to pass down Highway 20 from Lawrenceville to a burial in Monroe.

You know ... there were so many emotions in that moment that it is really hard to put into words. First off, how does one report this? Maybe one doesn't.

Then, just WOW. That there is still such a comraderie and fellowship among our public safety officers - the fire department, EMT's, and policeman - that they would commit 2 firetrucks to this important show of grief, friendship and fellowship was an incredibly moving thought.

Put the camera down.

But wait, there were people lining the streets; people stopping under the flag; people with their hands over their hearts and people with tears in their eyes.

But wait again. A few moments later, sirens were heard coming down Highway 20. Honestly, I was too moved to even lift the camera. I never knew Krista Davis, but one would assume from the outpouring of respect and show of love, this was a great woman.

There was perhaps 4 miles of blue lights flashing through the procession. Just like in the "old days", folks pulled over to the shoulder, got out and either put their hands over their hearts or even saluted throughout the whole procession. It honestly lasted about 15 minutes. From the drive, it was solid flashing lights from both directions.

Perhaps our American Flag still represents those who fought for our liberties, it also serves to remind us of those who fight for our liberties at home and on foreign soil. So perhaps the photo will be published with a wish for Godspeed to Mrs. Davis and the hope that we all show a greater appreciation for the men and women in all of our services.

I was heartened not only by the fact that fellow officers from all over the state took time from their busy lives to pay tribute to one of their own, but also by the fact that so many civilians were similarly moved by the display. After the initial spurt of patriotism after 9/11, we seem to have forgotten how important these men and women are who have dedicated their lives to our health and safety.

I hate that it takes the passing of someone's wife, mother, friend and partner to make us remember.

O.K. - got that out with only a few more tears ...

1 Comments:

Blogger Blogger profile name said...

What a great story. I'm always hoping that my kids will be patriots in an America that seems less and less patriotic.

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home