My Photo
Name:

Learning to live with "50" has given me some different insights than being in my 40's, so this seems like a logical place to share them! I have 2 beautiful girls and a "shared son". On any given day, there are many, many kids running around my house and I love each and every one of them! I'm a firm believer that housework is unhealthy. My last several attempts at "deep cleaning" have resulted in bodily injuries and sinus infections that I am sure were caused by the improper use of caustic cleaning products.(Is there a class where you can learn this stuff????) So, in an attempt to keep grandmas updated and everybody in the loop, I'll endeavor to be more prompt in my postings. 'Not sure what I'm doing with the technology, but I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to get some help from my kids should I falter ... Enjoy!

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Catching up ...

Man ... I can't believe it has been almost 2 weeks since I posted! What have I been doing? Without blog posts, I seem to forget!

Hmmm.... We had a great dinner with my brother and his family for Shelley's 18th Birthday. I can't believe she's already ALMOST a grown up. I can still remember Todd chasing her away from the bathroom door by blowing her away in a fit of giggles with a hairdryer when he was getting ready for college classes back when my Mom kept her. I remember when she learned her ABC's with Bible characters from Stone Mtn Christian, and I remember when her room was decorated in dolphins. She helped us maintian our sanity when we went to Orlando when she was about 8 or 9 (I think) and took full charge of the pre-school Cori. And now she's 18, has a new Razor phone and still has much to say. It was a great evening!

Last week, Steve and Carolyn and I took a group of younguns to Chattanooga for Singing School. For those of you reading this who are not PB's, Singing School is a Vacation Bible School, Church Retreat, Family Time, Choir Practice ... all in one. We left for Chattanooga about 6:30 a.m. on Wednesday morning and got there just as the first notes were being taught. Good timing!

My girls and the Bacon girls stayed up ALL night Tuesday night, so we were running on 1 hour sleep and many Mountain Dews by about 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday. Not pretty. Everybody was sound asleep by 10:00 p.m. that night and we had a much better time on Thursday. I had 5 girls in my room, so we had to get up at around 7:00 a.m. each morning to make the 9:30 start time at the church which was only about 15 minutes away. Steve, with the Woodard girls, got to sleep in much later and Carolyn, with 3 boys, was able to get her troops up, fed and out the door in about 30 minutes. After several days with many girls, I believe she now understands why God gave her boys ....

This was my 2nd Singing School experience. Brother Tim, who led both of the ones I have attended, has a true gift of teaching - not just music, but love of the Scripture, the gospel and how to be part of a group. Those of you who have heard me sing know that this is not my strong point, and well, Brother Tim just wouldn't let me do an interpretative dance at Singing School. Dang. But our kids, well, they just seemed to catch on and blossom. Cori is becoming a stronger alto (thank you Mr. Shoultz), Robin's voice is so very sweet, David's voice has matured so beautifully this year, Noah's is still very clear and it is evident that Josiah LOVES to sing. Although many of the songs were a bit foreign to Chelsea, Pam and Danielle, by Friday, they had a great grasp on the lyrics, the notes and the director's requirements. Chrisie has been a faithful attendee at Shiloh, so she was familiar with many of the hymns and she sat up front with the altos; the twins and Robin made up much of the soprano section.

Singing school is completed with a hymnal service. Friday night's service was so incredibly awesome (and you guys know I don't use that word unless it really is)! I really couldn't even sing many of the songs as it was so obvious that the Spirit was upon us in that little church. The same songs we had practiced all week seemed to have meaning beyond just the notes being sung. It was truly an amazing evening to witness and be part of.

Definitely worth the hassel of a worrisome car for the trip!

Photos of the trip haven't been downloaded yet, but I'm hoping Carolyn will share a few ... if not, I'm sure some will be posted on her blog www.lifeinstillville.blogspot.com.

1 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Mae said...

Gail, I have loved reading your posts on PB Gals, full of wit and wisdom. . .and I love peeking in your personal life through your blog!

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home