My Photo
Name:

Learning to live with "50" has given me some different insights than being in my 40's, so this seems like a logical place to share them! I have 2 beautiful girls and a "shared son". On any given day, there are many, many kids running around my house and I love each and every one of them! I'm a firm believer that housework is unhealthy. My last several attempts at "deep cleaning" have resulted in bodily injuries and sinus infections that I am sure were caused by the improper use of caustic cleaning products.(Is there a class where you can learn this stuff????) So, in an attempt to keep grandmas updated and everybody in the loop, I'll endeavor to be more prompt in my postings. 'Not sure what I'm doing with the technology, but I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to get some help from my kids should I falter ... Enjoy!

Monday, August 07, 2006

One more week ... but who's counting?

Yesterday I took the girls for that dreaded back to school shopping extravaganza. Now that school starts basically in the middle of summer, we don't invest in a great many back to school clothes, but there is "the list" which must be accomplished! For those of you not familiar with this particular public school fiasco, each year about June, the schools put out a general list of school supplies needed for each child for the first day of school. This usually includes pencils, red ink pens, colored pencils, rulers, paper, pocket folders ... just the general stuff.

And us parents, being doofuses of the biggest sort, try to not wait for the last minute - but since we all do, there is always a shortage of something ... this year, Walmart had NO pocket folders, much less the 8 that we needed in the very specific 5th grade color coding which will assuredly guarantee an A, nor did they have composition notebooks (as I was told by Carolyn, "there were millions of those LAST week" ... that helps me, HOW?) ... K Mart had pocket folders, but no red ink pens and no composition notebooks. AAARRGGGHHH!

And you should see the aisles at these stores with all of the buggies and frustrated moms! Keith went shopping on Sunday morning and came home with bunches of school supplies trying to help, but not having THE LIST, wenow have a plethora of spiral bound notebooks, which apparently are considered a weapon of some sort in Gwinnett County Schools.

And the really aggravating part of this whole scenario as that we repeat it on Thursday after orientation at Cooper Elementary when we get the teacher's more specific list of supplies. And Grayson High? Well, thanks to them, we will have a frantic run down the aisles of some of our favorite discount stores on Monday, after the first day of school, and if supplies are not acquired by the next day, a failing homework grade is usually assigned.

But then again, as the big yellow bus pulls away from my drive at 8:20 a.m. on Monday morning, I'll be one of the many moms popping the cork on that "first day of school bottle of champagne" celebration. You'll see us all doing our happy dance all the way back down the drive in our housecoats and with curlers in our hair ... Woo hoo!

So one more week ...

3 Comments:

Blogger Blogger profile name said...

What do they think you can do with spiral notebooks? Unwind them and choke someone?

7:58 PM  
Blogger ....... said...

I'm in a predicament... I know I have a PLETHORA of school supplies... HOWEVER, they are in a box in that storage locker somewhere I sure... or are they in the other storage locker?... Oh well, after HS orientation on Thursday, I guess it's off to Walmart...

The good thing about school in Tucson is that we have 16 different school districts in and around the city. Since they all start school on a different day, there's not a full out frantic rush to garner school supplies all at the same time.

Tell the girls I miss them!

12:02 AM  
Blogger Melissa Mae said...

OH MY WORD!!! I am sooo glad to hear someone who is just as crazed by that dumb list!!! They were VERY specific on Katie's 1 entire page list of a million things they needed for Kindergarten. . .then AFTER we bought all this stuff, her teacher says, "Well we have to just print out one general list for each grade and so some of this stuff - they won't need and you can just take it back home!!" UUGGHHH!

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home