My Photo
Name:

Learning to live with "50" has given me some different insights than being in my 40's, so this seems like a logical place to share them! I have 2 beautiful girls and a "shared son". On any given day, there are many, many kids running around my house and I love each and every one of them! I'm a firm believer that housework is unhealthy. My last several attempts at "deep cleaning" have resulted in bodily injuries and sinus infections that I am sure were caused by the improper use of caustic cleaning products.(Is there a class where you can learn this stuff????) So, in an attempt to keep grandmas updated and everybody in the loop, I'll endeavor to be more prompt in my postings. 'Not sure what I'm doing with the technology, but I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to get some help from my kids should I falter ... Enjoy!

Friday, October 13, 2006

Updates in the life of a mole creature ...

That's what I've termed myself - a mole. I live in the dark confines of my little office and rarely see day light. I'm finally at the winding down part of a very long production season - I suffer from poor eyesight, a tan so white that it blinds, carpel tunnel, a great dislike for anything with a keyboard and a wish for a home cooked meal.

The down side is that it will probably be a couple of months before I get to visit with my friend Snakebite Amy again. But honestly, we sat with each other putting together the catalog during the last month and I'm sure she probably needs a couple of months of restorative "no Gail" time before the next production in March. ANd by the way, only people out here in Grayson refer to her as "Snakebite." Amy lived in Buckhead a couple of years ago when I first met her. At the time, there were 2 Amy's working on the catalog - one was "pregnant Amy" and the other was "new Amy." During production, we got a call from "pregnant Amy" that "new Amy" had been taking the trash to the curb - in Buckhead, mind you - and got bit by a copperhead snake. She was very ill and hospitalized off and on over the course of several weeks. AS IF that were not enough, a month or so later, taking laundry into their laundry room in their garage, she opened the door and another snake (of indeterminate species) fell off the door jam right at her feet. Thus, Snakebite Amy. She apparently emits a pherenome that snakes cannot resist. (like my friend Barb and the big bugs).

So, here is Amy - hanging out, eating bon-bons and pretending to work.

Making time for the family had to take precedence over finding time to blog ... because contrary to what many catalog folks believe, the world does NOT stop revolving during production ... And I've been able to capture a few precious Kodak Moments over the last few weeks to prove that there actually is life outside my window.

Here's the silly string war - Don't ask me why, but back in the summer, I came across some guns that shoot silly string from the can. Reminded that silly string requires heavy-duty clean up, I put them away. Some nosey kids found them and warred in the street until 6 cans were gone. I confess, it was very fun! And man, the range on those guns! Robin and David did the clean up duty afterwards - along with bombarding each other with much more silly string droppings.

Keith took all the girls - I told you he was a brave man - along with the dogs over to Tribble Mill Park one afternoon to slide on the rocks. Really, slide on the rocks! I understand this is a fine summer past time that has gone on for years and even Grandpa Still has memories of doing such! There used to be a mill somewhere close to this section of rocks and there's a big pool at the bottom. The dogs were not thrilled, but the kids had a great time!

The weekends around here are crazy with festivals and fairs. The kids love it when I have to cover the festivals and this year's at Pharr Elementary was very fun! Yeah, it's such hard work.

O.K. - this is just too funny. Picking up David to take him to the Winn Fair, we found him sitting at the end of the driveway with a .... well, you'll just have to see it to believe it. I predict he'll either be a stand-up comedian or a politican ... Isn't there a movie out about that????

The Winn Fair was very fun. Each year, the Gwinnett Historical Society, which acts as caretakers of the Elisha Winn House, has a fair and festival with lots of music, vendors, interactive historical demonstrations and an opportunity for the young and old to come together over something much bigger than the rest of us! Part of the grounds have been cleared through the woods with a beautiful walking path through the trees. I found these cute little nymphs hanging out around a stump.

Steven had some of our kids dressed up in period costumes ... which he made himself (very clever guy) ... to walk the grounds and direct folks who needed help. It was hard to get them all smiling in the same place at the same time, but at the quilt drawing, they stood still for a minute.

And here's one of my favorites, Robin is in love with the weaving. Next year, she wants to dress up and be part of this exhibit in the house. Our own little Laura Ingalls Wilder ... (NOT!).

I have high hopes for the rest of the year and a more normal life! Had a HUGE argument with my landlord and I plan to be out of here by the holidays and move my office home. And as my new friend Amber has unloaded her burdens with confessions on her blog, I must confess my biggest shortcoming. I don't do mad very well. I say very stupid things when I get mad, so I work very hard to make sure I don't get angry ... but this man ... ARGH! He gets me riled just walking into the room and in my 50 years, very few people have EVER been able to do that to me! So, in a fit of rage, he said he would NOT renew my lease unless ... and I told him not to even go there as there would be no conditions he could set forth that would make me willing to stay here. Bummer. It was just beginning to fit well.

So, it's home for me - a bit of redecorating and rewiring. The family is a bit, hmmm, mixed on the feelings of this move. Certainly, I'll be home with the kids, but then, there's the "we won't be able to get away with _____ (fill in the blank)". Financially it will be a good move, but realistically, I know that I am not disciplined enough to make this a long-term situation. Mr. Harry, who has worked with me and for me for more than 20 years, is another concern. I just don't have room for a Mr. Harry at my house and the girls who are staying here don't have the budget for him. I'm just torn up about this one and am praying for guidance along with a recognized opportunity to help with this situation.

And now I find that I must find some way to "decompress" - This weekend I'm planning to catch a ball game at the high school, do some quality time with my girls, maybe take in a completely stupid movie and start a good book if I can find one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

I've wondered where you have been lately. I miss your blogs! Too bad about the whole landlord situation, but I hope that everything works out for at least a little while with the home office. You could always come down here and work...but that might defeat the purpose cause I think we would more than likely talk the entire time and you wouldn't get any work done. The snakebite Amy story...well, my worst nightmare!

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home